I sometimes get asked whether someone can use my art for this or that. Here are my rules:
• You may use my art in almost anything that is not-for-profit. Your blog, a forum, an avatar, wallpaper, flyers at your school and yes, youtube videos. The only thing I ask is that you please leave my tiny, out of the way signature in there and link to my deviant art page in the description so that other people can find me.
• Exceptions to the above rule: Please do not use my art in anything questionable, like a porn movie. I'm not sure how that can be managed, but hey, this is the internet. I've seen weirder things
• Do not edit my work without permission. Feel free to send me a note.
• Do not sell my work. It's mostly fan art, anyway, and it's illegal to sell fan art without the creator's permission since it is their intellectual material.
• Do not pass my work off as your own. It's sad. And guess what? You CAN draw. "ANYONE can draw, it just takes time and practice to do it well", as my art teacher used to say.
Feel free to send me a link to where you used my art and I'll check it out.
To everyone who has ever gone to the trouble of asking me for permission: Thank you for asking, you are awesome.
Q: Do you take commissions?
A: Yes, but it depends on how busy I am whether I'll accept a job. Send me a note and I'll get back to you. Since becoming a mom my time is not my own anymore, so I have to plan and put time aside to draw.
Q: What tools do you use?
A: Digital: Photoshop and tablet. Traditional, I use Faber Castell pencils, putty eraser, normal eraser and tissue to blend.
Q: What's your process?
A: Digital process currently is: to plan and draw the sketch. This is the most important part of the drawing process. No matter how well you ink and colour, if the foundation is flawed the building will fall down. Think about the rule of thirds in photography, depth, interest and so forth. I generally use references. There are some great stock photographers and models on DA. Once I'm happy with the sketch, I'll do the line art on a new layer. And then the colours are done on more separate layers. Finally textures and effects are added. I'm hoping to get Paint Tool Sai sometime, I hear it's great for line art.
Q: Have any tutorials?
A: I am planning on doing more in the future, but for now you can check out what I currently have on Sharenoesis.
You'll find things like how to draw a face, hair, eyes, etc. Enjoy.
Thank you for your continued support. This community has made me a better artist and I hope to continue to improve greatly in the future with your support and helpful critiques.